Saturday 10 December 2011

The Shallows, by Nicholas Carr

The subtitle is "What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains."

Reading this book, I am torn severely in several directions. I accept some of what he argues (the book is dead, our brains have been re-wired by the net to skim not concentrate), but on the other hand I am reading his book very closely with concentration, so that fact defeats his central argument.

Mr. Carr also makes reference to numerous neurological studies, whose sources I shall have to refer before passing judgment on his takes of same. More on this topic shall follow.

For now, let us simply say that this is a seriously provocative read, and I am happy that he wrote it, even though I disagree with many of his opinions. In that sense, he reminds me of Susan Sontag, whose books caused me to disagree on numerous points, but she caused me to consider these points, and to lie awake sleepless pondering them. That's about the finest review I can give a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment